Home remedies for the black eye are simple natural treatments that can help you get rid of bruising to the tissues surrounding the eye area. While a black eye will normally heal itself 10-14 days, these simple home treatments will help relieve any pain, reduce swelling and get rid of any skin coloration under the skin. Below learn how to use simple natural remedies to get rid of a black eye fast.
What is a black eye? According to webmd.com, a black eye is a bruise to the eyelid skin and it is usually caused by blunt trauma to the eye region causing black and blue discoloration. It is usually nothing to worry about as it resolves within 10-14 days on its own. However, in some cases, a black eye may be a sign of a more serious injury to the eye or the skull. If a black eye comes with blurred or double vision, bruising around both eyes (raccoon eyes) or bleeding from the nose, you should visit the doctor immediately to rule out the possibility of a fracture.
What causes a black eye? The most common cause of a black eye is blunt trauma to the eye. This causes bleeding under the skin giving a characteristic black-blue discoloration. Trauma to the nose and forehead may also cause a black eye affecting one or both eyes depending on the point of trauma.
Other causes of black eye bruises include:
- Surgical procedures to the face such as facelift, nose or jaw surgery
- Fracture of the base of the skull
- Allergic reactions and insect bites
- Infections such as cellulitis
- Liver problems
- Aging and Peri-orbital hyperpigmentation
Home Remedies for Black Eye
- 1 Home Remedies for Black Eye
- 1.1 Cayenne Pepper for Black Eye Bruise Relief
- 1.2 Use Calendula to Get Rid of a Black Eye
- 1.3 How to Heal a Black Eye Quickly with Witch Hazel
- 1.4 Comfrey Root
- 1.5 Boiled Egg
- 1.6 Papaya and Pineapple
- 1.7 How to Heal a Black Eye Overnight with Potato
- 1.8 Massage with Natural Oils to Reduce Swelling
- 1.9 Sage Tea for Black Eye
- 1.10 Bloodroot
- 1.11 Vitamin C
- 1.12 Arnica Montana
- 2 How to Get Rid of a Black Eye Fast Naturally (Overnight)
Although black eyes are relatively minor and heal on their own, these simple home remedies will help you reduce swelling, relieve pain and get rid of skin discoloration around the eye area.
Cayenne Pepper for Black Eye Bruise Relief
Cayenne pepper is one of the old folk home remedies for a black eye. The active component in cayenne pepper-capsaicin helps to reduce pain and treat skin discoloration.
- Mix one part of cayenne pepper and five parts of melted Vaseline
- Mix well and apply to the skin being careful not to get the mixture into the eyes
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Wipe off with a clean cotton ball
- Do this twice daily until the black eye resolves
Use Calendula to Get Rid of a Black Eye
Calendula reduces inflammation and promotes faster healing of black eye symptoms. It significantly reduces swelling and gets rid of the discoloration around the eyes.
- In a cup of hot water, add in petals from calendula flowers
- Allow to steep or 15 minutes and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Soak a clean-soft washcloth in this solution and place it on the eye area for 5 minutes
- Do this several times a day to reduce inflammation
How to Heal a Black Eye Quickly with Witch Hazel
Does witch hazel help black eyes? Yes, Witch hazel has excellent soothing and healing properties which makes it an ideal cure for black eye treatment. It reduces pain and inflammation and also gives tired eyes a refreshing look.
How to use witch hazel for black eyes:
- Mix witch hazel with water
- Soak in a clean cotton ball and squeeze off the excess solution
- Apply this to the bruised eye and leave it for 5 minutes
- Rinse off with water
- Do this twice or thrice daily
Alternatively, you can mix chamomile, essential oil and water. Apply the solution on the black eye using a clean cloth or cotton ball.
Comfrey root effectively reduces pain and bruising on the black eye.
- Boil comfrey root in water
- Allow it to cool and use a clean cloth to apply this tea to the bruised eye
- Alternatively, grind one teaspoon of comfrey and add water to make a paste. Apply this paste to the affected area once daily and rinse off
Using a hard-boiled egg is one of the ancient Chinese methods used to get rid of the black eye.
- Boil and egg until hard
- Peel the shell and gently roll the egg over the bruised eye
- Do this carefully not to inflict more pain
- Once the egg is cold, quickly boil it and repeat the process
- Do this several times a day until the bruising resolves
Papaya and Pineapple
Papaya and pineapple are both very effective home remedies for the black eye. They contain special enzymes and antioxidants that speed up the healing process of the bruised skin. To treat a black eye with these natural remedies, drink the fruit juices, eat the fruits or apply fresh fruit pulp onto the bruised skin.
How to Heal a Black Eye Overnight with Potato
Raw potatoes contain enzymes that help to dissolve the blood from the skin below. They also help reduce the swelling associated with the black eye.
- Cut thick slices of potato and place them in the refrigerator. Place the cold potato slices on the bruised area
- Alternatively, you can grate the potatoes and place the paste of the bruised eye or extract the juice and apply it topically on the eye.
Use this remedy several times a day and before going to bed for clearer skin and less swelling in the morning. Cucumber slices and chilled tea bags can also be used in the same way to get rid of a black eye.
Massage with Natural Oils to Reduce Swelling
Gentle massage the area around the bruising helps to reduce swelling and improve blood circulation to the area. Better circulation aids in faster healing. Massage gently to avoid inflicting pain. Do this twice daily with one or a mixture of two of the following oils;
- Tea tree essential oil
- Coconut oil
- Vitamin E oil
- Olive oil
Sage Tea for Black Eye
Sage herbal tea is a natural herbal remedy that will help to clear up your eyes fast. It helps to repair tissue and reduce swelling.
- Brew a pot of sage tea
- Let the tea cool at room temperature and soak a soft cloth it
- Squeeze out the excess liquid and apply it to the eye area for an hour
Bloodroot is a natural herb that is used for its medicinal purposes on skin diseases and tumors. It is loaded with anesthetic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties making it ideal for the black eye.
- Mix bloodroot powder with water to make a paste
- Apply to the bruised area making sure it does not get into the eyes
- Leave it on for 5 minutes and rinse off
- Repeat this once daily for not more than a week
WARNING: Bloodroot is not edible and should not be ingested. Use in small amounts- overdose may be fatal. It contains toxic opium alkaloids that may cause irritation of the mucous membrane.
Vitamin C is essential for the formation of collagen which is a building block of connective tissues like the skin- It helps to keep the vessels intact. This helps to prevent easy bruising and aid in faster healing of bruised skin. Make foods rich in vitamin C part of your everyday diet to get rid of a black eye. Foods rich in vitamin C include:
- Red and green bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
You can also take vitamin C supplement to supply the body with the daily recommended dose.
Arnica is a great herb that is widely used in homeopathic remedies for the treatment of many ailments in the body such as bruises, muscle soreness and any inflammation on the skin. It has strong anti-inflammatory properties making it ideal for the treatment of the black eye. Purchase arnica cream to make arnica oil or salve at home. Apply arnica cream two to three times daily.
How to Get Rid of a Black Eye Fast Naturally (Overnight)
The home remedies discussed above help to get rid of the black eye by reducing swelling, pain and skin discoloration. While the use of herbs and foods as discussed above is not usually backed by scientific facts, natural remedies for the black eye are usually recommended by doctors with or without conventional medication to reduce pain and faster resolution of swelling and the blood that collects under the skin. Here is how to get rid of a black eye fast;
Ice Pack Quick Remedy
Cold packs are the best treatments for a black eye and should be used soon enough after the injury. It numbs pain and reduces swelling significantly. Apply ice packs to the bruised area for 15 minutes every hour until the swelling and pain reduction.
Crush ice packs or use a bag of frozen vegetables. Be careful not to apply pressure that may cause further injury to the eye. Do not apply ice packs directly to the skin- wrap in a cloth.
After 24 hours -48 hours, you can switch from cold to warm compresses. Warm compresses help to improve circulation which in turn reduces the dark-blue discoloration. Soak a soft cloth in warm water, wring out excess water and apply to the bruised area until the cloth is no longer warm. Repeat the process over the course of the day.
Clean the Bruised Area
After reducing pain on a black eye, gently clean the area to remove any debris and dead cells which may attract bacteria and cause infections.
Rest and Elevate the Head
When treating a black eye, it is best to rest while keeping your head elevated. Elevating the head ensures that you limit the blood flow to the bruised area. This limits any pooling of blood and any swelling that could further darken the area. This is very important in the very first 24 hours. Sleep for at least 8 hours to allow your body’s immune response to act quicker.
Over the counter pain, relievers like acetaminophen can be taken in cases of discomfort or unbearable pain. Avoid taking aspirin as it decreases the ability of blood to clot making it easier to bleed into the bruise. Read the manufactures instructions carefully before taking any medication.
Hide a Black Eye with Cosmetics
There are a number of ways you can conceal the skin discoloration below bruised skin. Makeup can significantly hide or diminish the appearance of bruises and discoloration.
- Wash and cleanse your face as usual with a gentle touch on the affected area
- Apply a corrective concealer on the bruised area. Colored concealers are the best as they can easily neutralize the skin discoloration. For dark bluish bruises, use yellow tinted concealer or green tinted concealer for reddish bruises.
- Apply normal skin tone matching concealer to the entire face. Liquid concealers are easy to blend and conceal seamlessly.
- Allow the concealer to dry on for at least 5 minutes then apply the rest of your makeup.
While seeking to conceal black eye with makeup,
- Do not apply makeup on broken skin
- Use fragrance-free, hypoallergenic concealer
- Do not press hard on the bruised area
- Use finger to pat concealer to the skin
- Do touchups during the day
While black eyes are caused by minor injuries to the skin, it is always best to rule out any possibility of serious conditions. Seek immediate medical attention if you have one or two of the following symptoms.
- Spontaneously appearing black eye which affects both the eyes
- Loss of sight
- Double vision
- Inability to move the eye
- Blood on the surface of the eye
- Blood or clear fluid coming out of nose, ear
- Persistent headache caused by black eye
- Increased sensitivity to light or changes in vision
- Nausea, vomiting and/ or dizziness
Home remedies for the black eye are considered folk medicine and are not backed by scientific facts. This said they may not be as effective in the treatment of the black eye. If you develop an allergy or if your black eye becomes worse, STOP using the remedy immediately. Topical applications should never be applied on broken skin and also should not get into the eye. They may cause burning or irritation of the mucous membrane.