Home Remedies for Dark Circles under Eyes, Natural Almond Oil
With so many home remedies for dark circles under the eyes, there is absolutely no reason why you should put up with this bothersome skin problem that has a reputation for making people look tired and older than their age.
Referred to in numerous names such as raccoon eyes, dark shadows, and dark rings, dark circles under the eyes are attributed to numerous factors ranging from heredity and ageing to dry skin, crying over a long period of time, overworking on a computer, stress, poor sleep patterns, unhealthy diet.
Home Remedies for Dark Circles under Eyes
- 1 Home Remedies for Dark Circles under Eyes
- 2 Almond Oil for Dark Circles under Eyes
- 3 Natural Remedies for Dark Circles under Eyes
Dark circles are as much a problem for men as it is for women and although not a serious health concern they can make your face look tired, unhealthy, and aged. Luckily you can use one of the following home remedies for dark circles under the eyes to get rid of them easily:
Cold Compress for Dark Circle Relief in Men and Women
The blood vessels in the area around your eyes often dilates for one of the above metioned reasons, consequently making the skin around them to form dark circles. Applying a cold compress can help to shrink them and reverse the condition.
- Soak a washcloth in cold water or milk.
- Lie down on your back and place it over your eyes (while closed of course).
- Allow the washcloth enough time to work, 15-20 minutes, replacing it every time it loses the coldness.
- Repeat this remedy three times a day and those dark circles will soon be cleared.
Some people use a frozen spoon, peas, iced water, and even frozen tea bags for the purpose.
Just like almond oil, castor oil is rich in fatty acids and makes for a beneficial addition to your at home treatment for dark circles. In addition, castor oil contains ricinoleic acid which is touted to have anti-inflammatory properties. Here is how to use this remedy to remove dark circles around your eyes:
- Rub a generous amount of castor oil onto the area around your eyes. Massage the area gently and then leave it on throughout the night. Rinse it off with warm water in the morning. Repeat this treatment every day until those pesky raccoon circles have gone.
- Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of castor oil into a teaspoon of milk cream. Mix thoroughly and then apply the mixture to clean skin. Allow it 15-20 minutes and then rinse if off with lukewarm water. This remedy is especially beneficial for those with dry skin.
Butter milk is known to be rich in probiotics and lactic acid. These give butter milk exfoliating and astringent properties that are very helpful to dark circles. Butter milk is often used alongside turmeric to tap into the amazing inflammatory properties of this Asian spice as follows:
- Add ¼ teaspoon of turmeric into a cup with 2 tablespoons of butter milk.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to make a paste with fine consistency
- Apply it to the area around your eyes that is affected by dark circles.
- Rinse it off with warm water after 20 minutes or so.
Rosewater has a powerful soothing action for dark circles under the eyes. It is in particular helpful for dark circles that have been caused by working for long hours in front of a computer, stress, or lack of sleep.
- Soak a pair of small cotton balls in rose water
- Lie comfortably on your bed or couch and then apply the cotton balls on both your eyes.
- Allow them to stay on for about 20 minutes. Repeat the process once daily until
- Add a few drops of rose water to cold milk and then apply cotton balls soaked with the solution on your eyes for 20 minutes. Finish off by rinsing the treatment area with water.
More Tips to Remove Dark Circles under Eyes
In addition to the above home remedies for dark circles under eyes, you will want to consider the following tips:
- Avoid smoking. According to National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, smoking causes a constriction of blood vessels by creating a buildup of plaque. This in turn leads to poor blood circulation to the skin and other parts of the body. Smoking may in that regards make dark circles under the eyes more prominent.
- Reduce your salt intake. According to WebMD, the area around your eyes tend to have higher sodium levels and increasing your salt intake further adds to this, leading to inwards movement of water from others areas of the body with lower levels of sodium.
- Change your sleeping positon. Sleeping on the stomach or sides causes a buildup of fluids into the area around your eyes. Sleeping on your back may help to reverse if you tend to wake up with dark circles under the eyes.
- Avoid excessive drinking of alcohol and caffeinated drinks g. coffee
Almond Oil for Dark Circles under Eyes
The rich moisturizing properties of almond oil makes it one of the best home remedies for dark circles. In addition to being a natural emollient, almond oil also has anti-inflammatory properties and is rich in vitamin K, both of which have beneficial effects to skin affected by dark circles.
Here are the various ways to use almond oil for dark circles under eyes treatment:
- Cleanse your face with warm water and gentle soap. Pat your face dry and then dad some almond oil. Massage the skin gently in circular motion using your fingertips for a few minutes and then leave the oil overnight. Wash it off with warm water in the morning.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of almond oil and honey. Apply the mixture generously on your face to cover the entire area affected by the dark eye circles. Leave it on overnight and rinse it off in the morning with warm water.
- Some people have also reported great success using almond oil alongside milk. The idea here is to add to tap into the moisturizing effect of the fatty acids in milk for an even more powerful dark spot removal. Simply mix 1 tablespoon of almond oil with a few drops of milk and then allow it to work on your skin for fifteen minutes before washing it off with water.
Natural Remedies for Dark Circles under Eyes
You can also use the following natural remedies for dark circles to get back that healthy-looking, supple skin back.
Cucumber is one of the most popular facial remedies for skin conditions that affect the delicate area under and around the eyes. It is in particular widely used to get rid of dark circles under eyes thanks to its skin lightening and astringent properties, not to mention the amazing soothing and replenishing effects, and is a great starting point for those looking to get rid of dark circles under eyes fast.
Cucumber also contains useful antioxidants such as vitexin, cucurbitacins, isoscoparin, and orientin as well as nutrients such Vitamin K and C. To use cucumber as a home remedy for dark eyes,
- Chill a fresh cucumber for 30 minutes and then cut it into thin slices. Apply the slices onto the affected areas of skin, leave them to work their magic into your skin for 10 minutes and then remove them before rinsing the area with cool water. Follow this treatment twice daily for best results.
- Alternatively, prepare cucumber juice and mix it with lemon juice in equal proportions. Stir the mixture thoroughly till well blended and then apply it under your eyes using a cotton ball. Wash it off after 15-20 minutes. Repeat this process once daily for one week and those dark circles will have cleared.
Mint for Dark Circles under Eyes in Men and Women
Mint makes for one of the best natural remedies for removing dark circles under eyes thanks to its astringent properties which helps to constrict any dilated blood vessels around your eyes. When blood vessels get dilated, the blood in them become visible through the skin leading to the formation of the dark circles.
Here is how to get rid of dark circles under eyes using mint:
- Crush some fresh mint leaves using mortar and pestle
- Apply the resulting paste on those dark circles and allow it time to work on them. 15 to 20 minutes are enough.
- Finish off by rinsing the area with water
For an even more powerful dark circles at-home treatment, you may as well mix the crushed mint leaves with a little lemon juice before applying to your skin.
Arnica herb has a long tradition of use for numerous health conditions owing to its antibacterial, antifungal and astringent properties.
It has also been found to have sesquiterpene lactones which have mild anti-inflammatory properties that coupled with its astringent action makes for one of the best natural remedies for dark circles under the eyes. Before use however, arnica oil needs to be diluted with a carrier oil.
Here is how to get rid of dark circles using arnica:
- Pour 2 drops of arnica oil into 1 tablespoon of almond oil or olive oil).
- Apply the mixture to the dark circles affected area of your eyes ensuring that it doesn’t enter into your eyes
- Use once a day over a period of 3 days only (not longer than that) and those dark rings will have vanished.
Chamomile contains useful antioxidants that help to combat the free radicals in the skin. This coupled with its moisturizing, cleansing, and mild bleaching properties qualifies it among the best natural home remedies for dark circles under the eyes. It is especially suited to fighting dark circles caused by exhaustion.
- Place a couple chamomile tea in a small pot with 2 cups of boiling water.
- Allow the tea some time to steep – for 5 minutes or so – and then switch off the heat.
- Once the solution has cooled down, pull out the tea bags and place them on your eyes for 20 minutes while lying comfortably on a sofa or your bed.
- Repeat the process once a day and those dark circles that make you look older than you really area will be a thing of the past.
- For an even more powerful healing action, you may want to place the tea bags in the fridge for 20 minutes before using them.
Lemon juice has mild skin bleaching properties which can help to get rid of dark circles naturally.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon into a cup and then dab it onto the area around the eyes.
- Rinse it off after 10 minutes and you are good to go.
- Repeat the process once daily until you have attained the desired results. If you find that lemon juice causes a burning sensation, stop using this remedy.
- Make a paste by combining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with a pinch of gram flour, 2 tablespoons of tomato puree and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix the ingredient thoroughly until you attain a paste with fine consistency and then apply it on the area surrounding the eyes.
- Wash it off after 15-20 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times per week until those dark rings have cleared.
Potato is also known to have certain components with a mild skin lightening action. As such it gives positive results to dark circles when applied topically as explained below:
- Peel and chill two potatoes for 30-60 minutes.
- Grate them to make a paste
- Apply the paste on the dark circles affected area of your skin.
- Once the potato paste has had time to act on your skin, 15-20 minutes is a good timeline, rinse it off with cool water. Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times each week until you attain positive results.
Alternatively, you can use potato slices. Simply place them on your eyes for 2 minutes and then finish off by rinsing the area with water.
Tomatoes have also been found to have mild bleaching properties and also ranks among the best natural home remedies for dark circles. All you need to do is apply tomato juice on your skin twice daily, but for an even more powerful approach the following remedy is recommended,
- Combine 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 teaspoons of tomato juice. Mix the two thoroughly and then apply the resulting mixture on the dark circles before rinsing it off with water 10 minutes later. Repeat the process in the morning and evening every day until your skin has cleared.
Applying coconut oil to dark circles under the eyes can also help to get rid of them. Coconut oil has powerful moisturizing action which make sit particular effective for treatment of dark raccoon eyes caused by dry skin.
Coconut oil has the added benefit of fighting wrinkles and fine lines, not to forget that it has also been shown to improve acne spots.
To use coconut oil to remove dark circles from around your eyes:
- Apply some coconut oil into the affected area. Extra virgin oil is particularly good.
- Allow the coconut oil a few hours to works into your skin and then rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat this treatment 2-3 times each day until you have achieved he desired results.
As you can see, home remedies for dark circles under the eyes are quite many, but it also deserves a mention at this point that results vary from one person to another. Most of these remedies also require some time of use before any noticeable results can be achieved.