When they appear on exposed areas such as neck and face, skin tags are often an aesthetic concern, but with so many home remedies for skin tags, you should be able to get rid of them without the need for surgical intervention.
Home Remedies for Skin Tag Removal
- 1 Home Remedies for Skin Tag Removal
- 2 Natural Remedies for Skin Tags
- 3 Herbal Treatment For Skin Tags
Medically referred to as acrochorda, skin tags are small, painless, benign (non-cancerous) and soft outgrowths that may occur the face, neck, chest, eyelids and other parts of the body. Although typically harmless, skin tags are usually a cosmetic concern especially if they appear in areas of the body where they are easily seen e.g. on face.
Although surgery is usually recommended, removing skin tags yourself is as well an option that many people would consider. Here is a breakdown of how to get rid of skin tags at home:
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most popular and best home remedies for skin tags. It is especially helpful for skin tags on the neck. Apple cider vinegar is rich in acetic acid which is thought to break down the excess cells responsible for the formation of skin tags.
Here is how to remove skin tags using apple cider vinegar:
- Dip a small piece of cotton wool in apple cider vinegar and then apply it all over the skin tag. You are very likely to feel a stinging sensation but this will only last a few minutes.
- Allow it to sit on for 3-5 hours and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Repeat this process at least 3 times daily over a period of 2-4 weeks and you will soon see the skin tag fade away.
More tips: If your skin is the sensitive type, consider diluting the vinegar with some little water before applying it to the skin tag. Applying vitamin E or olive oil to the affected area of skin regularly may help you avoid the formation of scar after the skin tag has cleared.
A talk about home remedies for skin tags is not complete without a mention of baking soda, in my opinion. The exfoliating properties of baking soda comes in handy in removal of skin tags at home. To use this remedy:
- Mix a little baking soda with just enough warm water to form a smooth paste
- Apply the paste on the tags and run gently in circular motions
- Repeat 2 to 3 times every day until the skin tag falls off
Applying castor oil to the skin tags is yet another simple but effective home remedy. The oil helps to dissolve and get rid of the collagen and other extra tissues in the skin tags without scarring.
An added advantage of castor oil is that it is rich in nutrients that are beneficial to the skin. It works especially well when mixed with baking soda as follows:
- Mix castor oil and baking soda in the ratio of 2:1 (e.g. two tsp. castor oil to 1 tsp baking soda) and blend the two ingredients into a thick paste. Optionally, you may add 3 to 5 drops of lemon juice or peppermint oil.
- Apply the preparation all over the skin tags and then cover it overnight with a bandage.
- Rinse it off with warm water in the morning.
- Repeat the process the next evening and every evening thereafter for a period of 10 days or so. By then, the tag will have vanished.
Oregon oil can also help to dry out skin tags. This coupled with its antiseptic and numbing properties makes it a great home remedy for skin tag removal. Here is how to use Oregon oil for the purpose:
- Mix 2 drops of Oregon oil with 4 drops of coconut oil
- apply the mixture all over the skin tags
- after the oil has had some time to dry, wash the area with warm water
- Repeat thrice daily for a week or until the skin tag has fallen off.
Vitamin E has also been found to be effective in removal of skin tags. This is thought to be due to its antioxidant properties. You can use vitamin E capsules for this purpose as follows:
- Break a vitamin E capsule and apply a thin layer of the oil in it over the skin tags.
- Wrap a bandage around the area overnight
- Reapply vitamin E oil in the morning and cover the area with a new bandage
- Repeat the same in the evening, next morning and so on over a period of 10 days or until the skin tag has been removed.
Frankincense essential oil is also a great home remedy for skin tag removal but you should start by dong a patch test as it can be too potent for some particular skin types. It you have a sensitive skin type, you will as well want to use diluted frankincense oil for the same reason.
- Apply a few drops of frankincense oil directly on the skin tags
- Repeat this once every day for a period of 1-2 months. The tag will gradually shrink and ultimately fall off the skin.
Apply nail polish over the affected area of skin, making sure that the skin tag is fully covered.Nail polish application is one of those seeming weird home remedies for skin tags but it indeed does work. The method is also referred to as asphyxiation as it involved depriving the skin tags of oxygen which then makes them die and fall off naturally.
- Allow the nail polish time to dry and then scrape it off gently.
- Repeat the process thrice every day for about 10 days
Aspirin can also help to remove skin tags. It contains acetylsalicylic acid which shrinks and dry skin tags, eventually removing them from the skin.
- Crush and dissolve an aspirin tablet in a little water to form a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on the skin tags
- Repeat this for a few days or until the tag has vanished
Alternatively, you can crush an aspirin tablet into powder and apply it over the skin tags before sealing it in with a duct tape.
Natural Remedies for Skin Tags
As for those looking to learn how to remove skin tags at home naturally, here are a few options that you may want to consider:
Using a Thread
This is one of the easiest but very effective natural remedies for skin tags but it is not for the faint hearted as it can be quite painful. Tying skin tags with a string or thread deprives them of oxygen supply then makes them to die and fall off.
Simply tie a string (a dental floss can as well do the trick) around the skin tag tightly and leave it as such for a few days. I most cases, it doesn’t take the skin tag more than a week to fall off.
Using Duct Tape
Another home remedy for skin tags using DIY techniques is to use a duct tape. When pressed with a duct tape for a period of time, skin tags disappear. Simply stick a small piece of duct tape on a skin tag continuously for 2 weeks or until it has vanished.
Garlic is one of those amazing home remedies with a multitude of good uses, including skin tag removal. It is thought that garlic has certain enzymes that shrink skin tags, making them to fall off naturally.
- Cut a thin slice out of a garlic clove
- Fasten it on the skin tag using a duct tape
- Change to a new slice every three hours or so, until evening.
- Remove the final slice and rinse your skin before retiring to bed
- Follow this procedure the next day for a total of 3 days and your skin tag will fall off naturally.
Instead of garlic slices, you can crush a few garlic cloves into a paste and then apply it over the skin tag before covering it with a bandage.
Because of the strong smell of garlic though, it might be a good idea to use such a paste overnight as opposed to during the day, more so if you will be going out to work, school etc.
Pineapple juice also helps to remove skin tags naturally. To use this remedy, apply fresh pineapple juice on the skin tags 2 to 3 times a day over a period of 10 days or so. By then the skin tag will most likely have fallen off. You should not rinse the pineapple juice
Banana peels have strong antioxidant properties and this coupled with the enzymes in banana peels work together to help dissolve skin tags. To use this home remedy for skin tag, follow the following procedure:
- Get a small piece of banana peel
- Cover the skin tag with it and wrap a bandage over it before bedtime. The inside part of the banana should touch the skin.
- Remove the peel in the morning and wash the area with water
- Repeat this remedy every day for a few days or until the skin tag has fallen off.
The acidic nature of onion juice has also been shown to have beneficial effects in as far as skin tag removal is concerned. To use this remedy,
- Slice an onion on a chop board and transfer it into a container
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. of salt to it and cover the container for one night.
- The next morning, extract the juice out of the onion slices
- Apply the juice on the skin tags at bedtime and then cover the affected area with a bandage.
- Wash the area with warm water in the morning to get rid of the onion smell
- Repeat this process daily for 1 week or until the skin tag falls off.
Herbal Treatment For Skin Tags
Below are some of the best and low cost herbal treatments for skin tags that you may as well want to try at home instead of surgery and OTC solutions; the two main treatment options for skin tags:
Tea Tree Oil
The acidic nature of tea tree oil makes it a great herbal treatment for skin tags. The antiseptic properties if tea tree oil also gives it an added advantage of protecting the skin from infections after the tag has fallen off. You can always apply tea tree oil directly to the skin tags but if you are sensitive skin, you will want to dilute it before use as explained below:
- Soak a cotton ball in water and squeeze out the excess water
- Add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil on the cotton ball and then rub it gently all over the skin tag(s) in circular motions.
- Allow the oil to sit on the skin for a couple hours and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Follow this remedy 3 times every day for a 2 to 3 weeks or until the skin tag has vanished.
Aloe vera helps with many skin problems and conditions including skin tags thanks to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Get a fresh aloe vera plant and squeeze its gel over the skin tag
- Massage the skin tag gently in circular motions for half a minute or so
- Repeat this thrice daily for a couple weeks and your skin tags will vanish off.
Fenugreek seeds have strong antioxidants that help with the removal of dead skin cells ad have also been found to be effective in removal of skin tags. They contract skin tags gradually until they vanish. Here is how to remove skin tags at home using fenugreek seeds:
- Soak 2-3 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup of warm water for a night.
- Strain the water the next morning and drink it before you have had your breakfast
- You can as well pour some of the water on the skin tag and eat the soaked fenugreek seeds.
- Repeat this every morning for a couple weeks or until the skin tags have disappeared.
Try these home remedies for skin tags and that embarrassing tag on your face, eyelid, neck, etc. will be a thing of the past.