Best Home Remedies for Head Cold and Natural Cures
Head colds are very common and will tend to affect both children and grownups. It is therefore important for you to know some of the natural and home remedies for head cold. These help in hastening the healing process. There also are some simple tips that can be applied in our day to day life to reduce the chances of catching a cold.
A head cold is caused by a viral infection and is basically known as the common cold. It is so called because the symptoms are centered within the facial region and the head. The infection is most common during winter and comes with symptoms such as a congestion, runny nose, headaches and sneezing. In most cases, head colds will resolve after around 10 days.
Home Remedies for Head Cold
- 1 Home Remedies for Head Cold
- 2 Natural Remedies for Head Cold
However, intervening with home remedies for head cold can help to quicken the process. There are many of these which are easy to use as discussed below.
Garlic Remedy for Head Congestion
This has antiviral and antibacterial properties that help to alleviate the symptoms of a head cold. It also boosts the immune system and opens up the respiratory system and is thus one of the effective home remedies for head congestion.
- Mix a crushed garlic clove with a teaspoon of honey, two teaspoons of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of chilli powder or cayenne pepper. Take this remedy each day until the cold is gone.
- Consume raw garlic each day by incorporating it in meals or adding garlic oil to drinks and food.
- You could also boil five cloves of chopped garlic and drink a cup of the water. Add honey to taste.
Mullein Tea Relieves Colds
Taking fluids helps in treating head colds. Mullein tea has expectorant properties that can relieve congestion in the chest.
- Fill a strainer with some dried up mullein herbs. Add a cup of boiling water for at least 10 minutes.
- Add some honey to the tea and have this two times each day.
Milk is a great head cold relief and will help to treat coughing and other symptoms including headaches and other body aches. It can also be used as a medium for carrying other remedies such as ginger and turmeric.
- Add a teaspoon of powdered turmeric to a glass of boiled milk. You could also add some fresh ginger.
- Leave the milk to cool and drink it at room temperature.
- Take this in the morning and before going to sleep.
When one has a head cold that is accompanied by sore throat, cinnamon can help fight this.
- Add a tablespoon of cinnamon powder into a glass of boiling water.
- Allow this to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea while warm.
- You could also add a few drops of cinnamon bark oil into a teaspoon of honey and consume this.
This is an Ayurvedic remedy that helps to eliminate the condition within no time. Below is how to get rid of a head cold fast using spice tea remedy.
- Grind a quarter a cup of roasted coriander seeds, a tablespoon of fennel and cumin seeds and a teaspoon of fenugreek seed.
- Boil a cup of water and add two tablespoons of the above spice powder into it.
- Allow it to simmer for four minutes before adding some milk.
- Take the tea while it is still hot each day until the symptoms subside.
Chicken Soup to Get Rid of Head Cold Fast
Taking chicken soup is yet another way on how to cure a head cold. This contains essential nutrients that help in treating head cold symptoms. It is rich in antioxidants that help to hasten the healing process. Chicken soup also keeps you well hydrated, restores strength and boosts your immunity. Make some homemade soup with organic vegetables and some chicken. This can be most appropriate for use in babies who may find the taste of other home remedies too strong for them.
Dry environments tend to enhance the thriving of influenza. Adding humidity to the environment will help to reduce exposure to the virus. Switch on your humidifier as you go to sleep. This is more so in the winter. You could as well get one for the office. This will reduce inflammation in the nasal passage as well. You could add some few drops of eucalyptus oil to stimulate breathing. The same effects of a drier can be attained by standing in the hot shower for a while.
This topical ointment can help to reduce the symptoms of a head cold. It is safe for use in children above two years of age. An application before bed helps to open up the passage ways and also fights congestion, reduces coughing and enhances peaceful sleep. Vapor rubs are more preferred than taking over the counter head cold medication in children.
The use of salt water to alleviate head cold congestion has been used for long. This natural remedy mostly makes use of a neti pot to deliver the saline solution to the nostrils. Fill it up with a saline solution made from dissolving salt in warm water. Insert the spout in one nostril, tilt your head and let flow in and then out through the other nostril. This home treatment is safe for use every day.
Hot or Cold Packs
Hot or cold packs help to ease stuffiness that normally accompanies colds. It offers instant but temporary relief. For a cold pack, get a bag of frozen vegetables and wrap it on a towel. Rest this across your face. In case you prefer a hot pack, warm a wet but not dripping wash cloth in the microwave for a minute. Lay this across the face but be certain to check out if it is too hot before doing so.
Oil of Oregano
This oil which is extracted from the oregano herb contains chemicals that strengthen immunity and promote healing. It thus helps to eradicate common cold viruses. Add a few drops of oregano oil to your glass of juice or water or adding it to the vaporizer will help to relieve some of the symptoms of head cold. This oil though is very strong and should only be used while diluted. It is also not for everyone. It should not be taken by children or during pregnancy.
Natural Remedies for Head Cold
In addition to home remedies for head cold, there also are various natural remedies for head cold. These are items that can mostly be found in the kitchen. Their consistent use will ensure that the head cold symptoms are alleviated and that the condition heals fast. We sample some of these below and what to do for head cold with them.
In case the head cold comes with an irritated throat, honey can help to soothe the irritation. It contains enzymes that help to get rid of microorganisms which may be causing the head cold. Honey is said to be an effective cough suppressant. It is effective in children and a study published in the Official Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics shows that honey can be a treatment for cough and sleep difficulties in babies. When taken before going to bed, it helps to reduce the cough symptoms in children. Honey though should not be administered to toddlers below the age of one.
- Taking a teaspoon of plain honey is the most basic remedy. You could also add double the amount of lemon juice to it for intense relief.
- You could also add honey in tea.
Pepper contains capsaicin, a compound that helps in thinning mucus and give relief from congestion. Below is what to do for a head cold to resolveusing pepper.
- Inhale some crushed pepper throughout the day.
- Incorporate the pepper in food.
- Add some black pepper into a glass of water and gargle the solution.
This contains anti-inflammatory, antiviral and expectorant agents. It is one of the products known to be the best head cold remedy so don’t just use it to spice up your food but also to treat head colds.
- Consume raw ginger several times a day. You could also drink ginger tea.
- Ginger can also be used as a remedy for runny nose which normally accompanies head colds. Mix ginger powder with equal amounts of jiggery, clarified butter and a natural sweetener. Take this in the morning on an empty stomach.
Red onion syrup will go a long way in alleviating the symptoms of a head cold such as a sore throat. Making the syrup requires brown sugar or honey and some onions.
- Make horizontal slices of the onion.
- Put each slice in a bowl and add honey. Repeat this with the whole onion.
- Cover the bowl up and leave it for around 12 hours. You could leave it overnight.
- By the time you uncover the bowl, a thick syrup should have formed. Drink a spoonful of this up a number of times each day
This herb has been used for long to treat infections. It can help to hasten the healing of flu and common cold symptoms. It contains flavonoids which are chemicals with therapeutic effects. These have the ability to boost immunity as well as reduce inflammation. For just one week, ensure you take a teaspoon of Echinacea herbal tea.
This can be found in oranges, limes, lemons and limes. It brings along many health benefits. Vitamin C goes a long way in reducing symptoms as well as boosting your immunity. Incorporate these in your diet by consuming citric fruits as well as adding lime and lemon juice in teas.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an alkalizing agent. His makes it effective in fighting cold viruses which are known to turn the body into an acidic state making it hard for the immune system to fight colds. It can be taken by adding it to warm water and adding lemon and honey.
Coconut oil is one of the best remedy for head cold because it is a powerful antiviral product. It has the ability to target head cold viruses and disintegrate them. This it does by absorbing directly into them and breaking them apart. Consume a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil two times each day the moment you notice the symptoms of a cold.