Home Remedies for Dry Itchy Scalp, Natural Treatment to Get Rid of Itchy Scalp
If you are struggling with a dry itchy scalp, then we have got you covered with some of the best home remedies for dry itchy scalp out there. And since the term “natural” is welcome to the ear of most people nowadays, we have as well listed several natural remedies for this common beauty concern.
A dry scalp is a cosmetic concern that can kill your self-confidence and as though that is not painful enough, it can as well lead to serious itching which can be quite embarrassing in public. A dry, itchy scalp is caused by various factors that are often interlinked ranging from dandruff to fungal infections to more serious health conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
Home Remedies for Dry Itchy Scalp
- 1 Home Remedies for Dry Itchy Scalp
- 2 Natural Remedies for Itchy Scalp
The following home remedies for dry itchy scalp will help to relieve the symptoms in most cases:
Baking Soda for Dry Itchy Scalp with Dandruff
Who said that this readily available common home ingredient is not only good for cleaning countertops and toilets? It can also help to relieve a dry, itchy scalp by balancing out your skin’s pH. It also helps to fight dandruff and fungal infections both which are common triggers for scalp itching and dryness.
Here is how to soothe itchy scalp at home with baking soda:
- Mix baking soda with enough water to make a paste that is thick enough yet easy to work through your scalp.
- Apply the paste to your scalp and the leave it on for 15 minutes or so before rinsing it off with water.
- Repeat the treatment two times daily until you achieved desirable results.
For optimum action, some skin care experts suggest applying olive oil onto your scalp before using the baking soda paste as outlined above.
Apple Cider Vinegar Relief of Dry Itchy Scalp
This is yet another darling ingredient among home remedies enthusiasts with its use going beyond razor bumps and age spots treatment to include itchy scalp relief. Apple cider vinegar works by balancing the pH of your scalp while fighting off fight yeast and viral infections typically responsible for dandruff and dry, itchy scalp.
- Wash your hair and then allow it time to dry
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water and then transfer the solution into a spray bottle.
- Spritz the solution into your hair and scalp and allow 5 to 10 minutes, then rinse it out with water. If you don’t have a spray bottle, a cotton ball will work just fine.
- Repeat this remedy 1-2 times a week and that dry and itchy feel in your scalp will be a thing of the past.
With powerful astringent properties, witch hazel also makes for one of the best home remedies for dry itchy scalp and dandruff. It is particularly beneficial for dryness and itching that has been triggered by harsh treatment and frequent blow drying.
- Dilute witch hazel with 2 parts water. For example, use ½ cup of water for ¼ cup of witch hazel.
- Apply the mixture into your hair and scalp and then massage gently with your finger tips for a few minutes.
- Allow it to works its magic onto your hair for 10minutes or so and then finish off by rinsing it off with water
- Repeat the treatment once daily until your scalp has healed.
With a molecular structures that greatly resembles the sebum produced by the human skin, jojoba oil has a richly moisturizing action that makes it one of the most effective home remedies for dry, itchy scalp. To use jojoba oil for this purpose,
- Massage generous amounts of jojoba oil onto your scalp using your fingertips just before bedtime
- Allow it to work on your scalp throughout the night and shampoo it off the next morning
- Repeat the treatment every night until your scalp gets its natural qualities back.
Coconut oil also does wonders to dry, itchy scalp and is a worthy natural addition to your hair care regimen.
- Massage generous amount of coconut oil into your scalp with your fingertips.
- Allow it to sit on for 25 minutes or so, then rinse it off with a gentle shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times each week for the best results.
Tea Tree Oil
This Australian tea tree extract has powerful anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antibacterial properties that makes it an effective treatment for dandruff and other conditions associated with dry, itchy scalp. Below is an outline of how to stop itchy scalp with tea tree oil:
- Pour 10 drops or so of tea tree oil into ½ cup of baby shampoo. Use the mixture to cleanse your hair and scalp once daily until the condition has improved.
- Alternatively, pour 3 drops of tea tree oil into 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Massage the mixture into your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing your hair with water. Repeat the process regularly and that dry, itchy scalp will soon be forgotten.
Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp with Braids
So you had those nice braids done a few weeks ago, only for a dry, itchy scalp to hit in a few days down the line? Well, we have as well had you covered.
We took the time to research for effective home remedies for itchy scalp with braids and here is one remedy, courtesy of Poetic Justice Braids, that seems to be a great option.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of apricot oil with 2 teaspoons each of aloe vera juice, vegetable glycerin, vitamin E, and sesame oil.
- Treat your hair and scalp with these mixture once daily until you r get the desired results.
You will also want to:
- Wash your braids regularly to get rid of sweat and haircare products buildup that is often to blame for dry, itchy scalp.
- Cleanse your hair with witch hazel, aloe vera or any other astringent once in a while. A dry shampoo may also help.
Natural Remedies for Itchy Scalp
In addition to the above at-home treatment options, you will also want to consider the following natural remedies for itchy scalp:
The antiseptic properties of lemon juice makes it one of the best home remedies for dry itchy scalp. It is in particular very effective for itching caused by dandruff.
- Cut a fresh lemon into two halves. Squeeze its juice out and then apply it all over your scalp with a cotton ball or a spray bottle. Rinse it out after 5 minutes. For mild cases, particularly those not accompanied by dandruff, dilute the lemon juice with equal amounts of water. Repeat this treatment once daily until you achieve desired results.
- Mix lemon juice, freshly made, with plain yoghurt and then slather the mixture into your hair and scalp, allowing it to stay on for 5 minutes or so. Finish by washing it out with a mild shampoo and you will be good to go. Follow the process once daily till you have achieved positive results.
This tropical fruit is not only a sweet and healthy addition to your diet but also an effective treatment for dry, itchy scalp. In addition to fighting dandruff and other triggers for scalp dryness and itching, bananas also help to condition your hair naturally, not to mention that it promotes hair growth. Bananas are even more powerful when used alongside avocadoes.
Here is how to relieve itchy scalp with bananas:
- Mash 2 bananas and one ripe avocado.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30-45 minutes and then rinse it out with water
Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil also makes for a superb natural treatment for itchy scalp thanks to its rich moisturizing and healing action.
- Warm some sesame seed oil in a small pot.
- Apply the warm oil into your scalp and massage your scalp with your fingertips for 10 minutes before going to bed.
- Now wrap a hot towel on your hair for 10 minutes or so and then retire to bed.
- Wash the oil out the next morning.
- Repeat the treatment daily until you have attained positive results.
Aloe Vera to Stop Itchy Scalp
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties that are beneficial to dry, itchy scalps.
- Snip off the leaf of an aloe vera plant.
- Squeeze it to draw out its juice and then apply it all over your scalp.
- Allow it to work into your scalp for 10-15 minutes and then wash it out with water
- Repeat the process 1-2 times every day until the condition improves.
If you don’t have access to an aloe vera plant, you can as well use an aloe vera gel.