Chapped lips are uncomfortable and when severe they could be painful. The use of home remedies for chapped lips can help to relief pain and the symptoms. These include natural remedies and a few other products that can be put on chapped lips to get rid of the dry skin. We explore these herein.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
- 1 Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
- 2 Natural Remedies for Chapped Lips
- 3 What to Put on Chapped Lips
- 4 Tips on how to Avoid Chapped Lips
While the skin produces sebum which helps to protect it from excessive drying, lips do not. This makes the lips more vulnerable to chapping. The symptoms of chapped lips include dry lips, flaking, scales and bleeding and cracked lip corners in severe cases. Chapping is most common when the weather is dry, cold and windy. The situation is worsened by biting and licking the lips among other causes of chapped lips. To treat this, one can make use of home remedies for chapped lips.
These remedies have a moisturizing effect which is what the lips need to heal. They thus help to prevent further chapping as well as hasten the healing process. These home treatment options for chapped lips can also be used as angular cheilitis remedies to help avoid opportunistic infections. They have to be used consistently for any positive changes to be seen.
Exfoliation is Best for Chapped Lips
The best treatment for chapped lips to start off with is exfoliation. This helps in removing the dead skin cells from the cracked lips. The exfoliation should be gentle enough because if it is done too roughly it will result in further damage. Gently massage the exfoliator on the lips. Some of the things that you can use for the exfoliation process include:
Salt or Sugar scrub: These act as great exfoliators. Apply the scrub on your lips and slowly massage in circular motions. This will help to soften and renew your lips.
Exfoliating Brush: Your toothbrush could serve the same purpose as well. Ensure it has soft bristles and gently rub it over your lips in circular motions. This helps to get rid of dead skin. Avoid using face based exfoliators on the lips. These tend to dry up your lips further.
Cucumber Fix for Dry Cracking Lip Corners
Cucumbers are succulent and will keep the lips well moisturized when used regularly. The water in them will help to restore moisture on the lips. They also help to ease the discomfort that comes with chapped lips. Cucumbers also contain other health promoting ingredients such as ascorbic acid and caffeic acid which play a great role in the healing of the chapped lips as well as other mouth conditions such as cold sores and canker sores.
- Water or Re-hydrationSlice a cucumber and rub it over your lips so that its juice is applied on them liberally.
- Leave the juice to rest for about 20 minutes before washing it off the lips.
- Repeat the procedure three or more times throughout the day.
Chapped lips are at times as a result of dehydration. Where this is the case, drinking plenty of water within the day will help to not only keep the lips well hydrated but the rest of the body will also benefit from it. It will also help to flash out toxins from the body. Start off by taking a cup or two of water before taking food. Take another cup before going to bed.
Honey for Cracked Lips in Children
Honey is a natural emollient and acts as a great lip moisturizer. It contains antibacterial properties which give it healing properties. These help in fast treatment of chapped lips. This can be a great treatment for chapped lips in children as they will not be bothered by the taste.
- Make a paste of glycerin and honey by mixing the two in equal parts.
- Apply this paste on the lips before going to bed and let it rest overnight
- Wash off your lips in the morning using a piece of clean cloth soaked in warm water.
- You could also simply rub some pure organic honey on your lips a number of times a day for soft and smooth lips.
The rose plant enhances the beautiful color of your lips while rescuing you from your chapped lips by keeping them well moisturized. The rose petal extracts will go a long way in relieving chapped lips.
- Get a handful of rose petals and clean them thoroughly using water.
- Soak the petals in milk or glycerin depending on your preference for ten minutes
- Mash the petals into a thick paste
- Apply the resulting paste on your lips three times within the day and just before sleeping.
Castor Oil Remedy for Severely Chapped Lips
Castor oil offers another great option on how to treat chapped lips. T is hydrating and will also protect the lips from losing more moisture. This will with time restore the health of the lips.
- Make a chapped lips treatment by mixing castor oil and glycerin in equal portions
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix the ingredients well.
- Apply this on your lips at night before going to bed and let it rest overnight.
- Wash off your lips in the morning
- Apply pure castor oil on your lips a number of times each day.
Apply milk cream from fresh milk on the chapped lipsMilk cream contains a high fat content that keeps the lips naturally moisturized. It is an excellent product to keep the lips soft and fastens healing by eliminating the dead skin cells.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes
- Use a cotton ball soaked in warm water to gently wipe off the cream.
Lip ointment Treatment for Extremely Dry Cracked Lips
There are numerous lip balms and ointments available over the counter. These are what to go for if you are looking for a fast way on how to fix chapped lips. They contain ingredients that help to temporarily relieve chapped lips. You have to be cautious when choosing your ointment as there are some that will contain ingredients that could make your lips drier.
- Get lip balms containing natural moisturizers such as beeswax, coconut butter, Shea butter or almond oil. Ointments with glycerin and vitamin E are also helpful. They should also contain sunscreen. Lip balms with long lists of unfamiliar ingredients should not be considered.
- Apply these as frequently as may be necessary for soft and smooth looking lips.
- Avoid the use of lipstick for the purpose of moisturizing your lips as these could have a drying effect. Instead go for protective ointments.
Natural Remedies for Chapped Lips
In addition to the home remedies discussed above, there also are some natural remedies for chapped lips. These are mostly readily available in our homes. We discuss various natural cures and what is the best for chapped lips in different circumstances below.
A great cause of chapped lips is normally dehydration. As such, one of the easiest and cheapest means of getting rid of it is by increasing your fluid intake. Plain water is most natural and will give the greatest advantage.
Other fluids such as fresh juices could also be of help. Make a glass of tomato juice and into it add nutritional yeast, carrot juice and spinach juice in small amounts. A tablespoonful of each would do. These will play a great role in getting rid of dry chapped lips from within.
Papaya is a natural exfoliator and will go a long way in getting rid of chapped lips. Mash a ripe papaya and apply it on your lips. Leave it to rest for 15 minutes before washing it off. This will leave the lips feeling smooth and soft.
This is among the known herbal remedies for chapped lips. It has healing properties and when it is applied on chapped lips the gel attracts water from the atmosphere to itself thus hydrating the lips. Putting a layer of aloe vera on the lips will help ease pain as well as hasten the healing process. The juice can be extracted directly from aloe leaves or bought from a drugstore.
This oil is popular for its effects on dry skin. It has moisturizing qualities and will help to keep your lips supple and soft. Add some sugar to the oil and rub it gently on the lips. Let it rest for up to ten minutes before washing it off using some warm water. This will exfoliate and moisturize your lips.
Coconut oil has the advantage of easy absorption by the skin. It helps to soften and moisturize the skin. It also facilitates absorptions of vitamin E which is an antioxidant and which helps reduce cell damage by free radicals. When your chapped lips are as a result of dry or cold weather, coconut oil would be a great natural moisturizer. Get some pure coconut oil and apply a thick coat on your lips.
Sugar can be used to exfoliate chapped lips and restore their usual softness fast. Mix one portion of sugar with half a portion of honey. Apply the paste on your lips and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Using your fingers, gently rub your lips on the areas with the mixture to loosen the dead skin. Wash off the lips with lukewarm water.
The effects of u unhealthy eating on the skin is normally overlooked. Following a balanced and healthy diet can help to get rid of chapped lips in the long run. For the skin in any part of the body to remain healthy, it requires enough minerals and vitamins. Taking foods rich in antioxidants such as vegetables and fruits will help to protect the lips from oxidative stress. Also include eggs, leafy vegetables and nuts as they contain high amounts of vitamin E.
What to Put on Chapped Lips
The drying and cracking of the skin is mostly treated by putting on moisturizers on it. The same applies to the lips. Moisturizers are what to put on chapped lips to make heal and look better. They also help to shed off the dead skin leaving behind soft lips. Below are some helpful products.
Petroleum Jelly: This can be found in products such as Vaseline. It helps to moisturize dry and chapped lips within a short time. Liberal amounts on it throughout the day will help. Also apply some before going to bed so it can work on the skin while the body is at rest.
Beeswax: This when applied on the lips helps to protect the lips during the day by blocking out harsh weather elements. This way it protects the lips from further chapping while at the same time delivering healing elements. It also protects more moisture from escaping the lips.
Vegetable Glycerine: This can be used to help in moisture retention. It can be used on its own or mixed with other ingredients. Within a short time of regular application, the lips will be back to their natural state.
Appropriate Lip Cosmetics: At times the cause of chapped lips could be things we apply on them. Those that contain strong chemicals should be avoided. Instead go for lipsticks, balms and other lip cosmetics that are natural and contain moisturizing ingredients. Where possible, opt for homemade lip balms to restore soft skin on the lips.
Tips on how to Avoid Chapped Lips
In most cases, chapped lips can be avoided by keeping the lips well protected. Following a healthy lip care regimen will keep the lips well-nourished while avoiding the causes of chapping will also help to prevent them from drying. Below are some tips on how to care for the lips.
- If you are susceptible to dry lips and skin, add moisture to the air by using a humidifier in the house.
- Avoid licking dry lips as this could worsen the condition.
- When going outdoors protect your lips from harsh winds by putting a scarf around.
- Your toothpaste could be causing chapping of your lips. Try checking out the ingredients and change your toothpaste to see if there will be any change.
- At times the dryness could be as a result of dental problems. People who wear braces are prone to chapped lips. These also complain about irritation as well. If this be the case, your dentist can recommend some special wax to be applied on the edges of the braces.
While the above remedies are effective in treatment of chapped lips, the condition will recur if preventive measures are not taken. It is therefore important that you learn how to take care of your lips to avoid recurrence. In cases where you are suffering from extremely chapped lips that don’t get better even with the use of home remedies, see a doctor.